Monument Community Presbyterian Church was founded in 1874, two years before Colorado became a state, by Presbyterian missionary Dr. Sheldon Jackson. The congregation began with 6 members. MCPC is the only Presbyterian Church in the Tri-Lakes community.
In 1880, members constructed a small sanctuary, which was dedicated in 1881. It remains today as our beloved Sheldon Jackson Chapel.
By the early 1880's the Presbyterian Church had become the most-attended congregation in the Palmer Divide area. Homestead families came from outlying ranches as far north as Greenland and from the Black Forest ranchlands to the south and east. Today this is still roughly the area we serve, from the heart of Monument, extending out 10-20 miles to the north, east, and south.
A Baptist congregation closed its doors in the early 1880's and sold their church bell to the Presbyterians. This bell, weighing 800 pounds, was cast at the same Philadelphia foundry as the Liberty Bell. This bell still rings out from our bell tower prior to services each Sunday.
In the 1970's, our church faced a decision on how to respond to the growth from the new Woodmoor development - should the church stay in Monument, or move east? The decision to stay in town was due in large part to the desire to stay a community-focused church. The Christian Education wing of the church was completed in 1985.
In November of 1997, we dedicated a new sanctuary with additional classrooms, youth room and office space. By God's grace, we have now celebrated more than 130 years of worship and service to the Lord.
We are a church characterized by an openness to change and innovation but with respect and appreciation for our traditions and rich heritage. "Many have labored to make our church strong. They have laid a foundation with Jesus Christ as the cornerstone. It remains for us in the power of the Holy Spirit to build upon this foundation" (from the History of MCPC booklet). We are grateful for God's faithfulness in our past and excited about God's plans for our future.
A detailed history and video of MCPC are available in the church office.